Monday, September 12, 2011

Pottermore and Wands: Reflection of Oneself?

The Magical Quill Book. Successful registration inside Pottermore BETA.
Credit to TheLastMuggle
Finally, after weeks of waiting for my third Pottermore email (the first two were Congratulatory ones after I answered correctly the question with the magic quill), I finally checked out the fuss that surrounds this BETA game. It was filled with amazing visuals, small excerpts from the story only catching the most important detail from each chapter but unfortunately it seems Sony (the site maker) forgot to add some music. Ironic, isn't it?


But as I go through, enjoying the new pieces that J.K. Rowling herself added to colorize the story - background insights of each characters, events and objects - I finally had my chance to have my virtual wand. Unlike what Harry Potter did in the movies with the swish and flick, I have to go through 7 questions with a note to myself to answer them in all honesty. Why is that so? Two things came to mind when I was doing it - for the sake of fun imagining I'm in Harry's shoes when he was picking his wand for the first time and a psychological look on how this virtual wand reflects my personality. The questions were piece-of-cake, nothing much to think about but what surprises me was the result afterwards.
Pottermore Profile. The Wand details on the left. Credit to Pottermore Site
Interestingly, I got myself a Black Walnut with Dragon Core, Twelve and a Half-inches, Hard. Now what does that mean? I'm no herbologist or even if I'm a Harry Potter fan myself I really can't recall what it signifies. Good thing though, J.K. Rowling herself present articles about a wand's description or if it still feels lacking I just found out that Harry Potter Wikia have additional insights to it posted on their site.

Wand Wood Description for Walnut. Credit to Pottermore Site
Wand Core Description for Dragon. Credit to Pottermore Site
With the above description, it says one thing: the wand owner is inclined to intelligence, flexibility, sincerity, loyalty, attuned with inner conflicts and stubbornness. This was all but quite a surprise. It may have been coincidence or the questionnaire contains good psychological merit but those attributes quite reflect the person I am. Because of this, my interest boosted up for the Pottermore virtual world. Now I can say I'm more thrilled to see what I will discover. So stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Hey I am Natalia from the blog Diario de un sidecar, I am your first follower. You can visit the mosque when ever you want but try not to go closer to 12pm, it´s the praying time. The guide is free and they invite you to a tea, water o juice. They a very nice people. Hope to hear from your visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Natalia. Thanks for the advice. Will definitely keep that in mind! I'll let you know once I visit the mosque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the same wand wood, core, and flexibility. However, mine's 11 and a half inches.

    ReplyDelete