Sunday, October 14, 2012

Asia Cooperation Dialogue in Kuwait


http://www.channelnewsasia.com/components/display_image.php?id=470848?123
Image Credit to ChannelNewsAsia

For the past week now I have been seeing numerous flags of different countries proudly standing on the islands of 4th ring road, 6th ring road, etc and cops are just everywhere, some even barricading numerous roads and hotels. I thought it was just some sort of International affair that the locals are celebrating since the Eid holiday is only a few weeks away. But after watching the news on cable TV and reading an article about Asia Cooperation Summit  to be held here in Kuwait, that confirmed what I have been witnessing lately. Since I'm not much of a political-business-junkie, I wasn't even aware that such groups like the ACD existed. I know the likes of UN, G7 and the ASEAN, but the ACD sound's new to my ears. After researching on google and reading an article, here's what I found (Link):

"The summit would review promotion of investments especially the role of sovereign wealth funds to invest in other Asian nations which have the potential." (AFP News)

Technically speaking, the ACD is to gather all the major energy producers in the region and discussing ways to promote investments. This would also serve as a tie to strengthen the relationship of each member nations. What's interesting is that I have heard no such thing has occurred in Kuwait for the last decade, more so having the country as a host. This of course can pave way to highlight the image of Kuwait among the other oil-rich nations in the world. Hopefully though, more projects and ties can be created to benefit a lot of people and that this kind of international summits will not be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment