Monday, December 5, 2011

Ice Skating in Kuwait


I've always loved to skate..on ice. It was a childhood dream that I always fancy, more so after watching the movie The Cutting Edge and a few years later, Ice Princess. Unfortunately, it doesn't snow in the tropical island country where I live so I never had the opportunity to experience what they'd call White Winter. Although there were Ice Skating rinks available at the malls, I used to remember that I couldn't afford to try one since the fee for the hourly Ice skate is different from the Skate shoes rental plus the tutorial for the beginners' session. The tutorial was an option but for an elementary school kid, everything is just plain expensive.

Luckily, I did have my chance when I was in High school but that experience was a total mess. I couldn't even stand on my two feet and all the time I just kept on holding onto the rails for life support! That expensive precious one-hour of my hopefully glorious first try to Ice skate turned into hell since I would always fall on my butt flat on the hard ice. I also still couldn't afford to get a tutorial since my budget was only fit for the Ice skate usage and skate blade rental. The overall experience made me feel uninterested plus the fact that I have to travel almost 2 hours just to get to the mall to try that Ice skating experience.

Never did I imagine that I'd be able to try it again here in Kuwait for the second time. The fee was way cheaper as compared back home since the skate shoes rental is already included in the payment. I obviously don't have any clue about the mechanics of Ice skating in general except on how to tie the skate shoes properly though interestingly, it took me only a couple of minutes to finally get a grip on myself to stand on the ice without falling! That gave me an odd sense of joy to start with. And as the minutes passes, by after I started to move my two feet atop the hard ice, my excitement started to grow more. It's as if I was a kid again dreaming of becoming a great figure skater like Michelle Trachtenberg in the Ice Princess movie! Yeah that was a bit overboard, but every time I let myself loose in trying my very best to keep my balance while gliding on the ice, all the time carefully following my friend's basic instructions, I couldn't stop myself from being overly thrilled! Unlike my first try, the experience that took place was definitely worth repeating even though I slipped a couple of times, five to be exact plus adding the faint bruise I received as a souvenir on my left palm. But whatever the case, the experience was worth it and I can see myself, this time, coming back for more!

Credit: Chickee Pante for the Photos XD

2 comments:

  1. **Sigh.. I remember my me and Jon's first date was at ice skating rink at Megamall. Kami lang dalawa. Dream came true :)
    Diyan ba yung place na napanood ko sa Amazing Race na sobrang laki, ay pedeng mag-ski?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your first date? That's sweet! Hehe.
    Not sure though but the rinks were really big, bigger than what we have back home. People here were fond of ice hockey and such but I haven't seen anyone skiing kasi wala naman ice mountain dito. Baka sa South Korea yun.

    ReplyDelete